A Nautical Theme
Advice from Talented UK Interior Designers
Thinking of creating a room with a nautical theme? At Beautiful Rope Decor it is no surprise that we have a passion for all things nautical. All our products are handcrafted using authentic nautical rope skills. But how do you create a room with a nautical theme? We wanted to find more. So we asked some experts that would know. We got in touch with some amazing interior designers. Each designer has created wonderful inspiring interiors for properties by the sea. There’s not much they don’t know about coastal style and great interior design. We asked them for their advice on how to create a nautical theme for a room by the sea.
This is the first in our series of nautical decor articles which bring you hints and tips from coastal interior designers.
4 great tips for creating a Nautical Theme
1. Find a beautiful rug, fabric or art piece that is perfect for the interior and then use that as inspiration for the rest of the design. Louise Couldry of Holmwood Interiors, Whitby, North Yorkshire.
2. You may have a significant piece of furniture or a painting which you wish to be included in the design. So start by creating a scheme around the colours, materials and forms of this piece. Sonia Mundey of Yellow Book Interiors Ltd, Dorset.
3. Begin by creating a mood board. Search through photographs, books and magazines to find images and colours which reflect your theme. Create the ‘mood’ of the scheme with colours, textures and forms. Sonia Mundey of Yellow Book Interiors Ltd, Dorset.
4. Stay away from anything contrived that looks like a theatrical stage set. Don’t try to create a themed room. Instead add nautical hints. Anything more will be impractical and feel false. Holly Pagani, Interior Designer at Salt Interiors, Norwich
Do you have a nautical theme design tip? Let us know and we may add it to our list!
Read our other coastal decor articles:
- What to consider when choosing nautical accessories
- How to choose coastal colours
- 2016 coastal design trends
- Inspiring nautical wallpaper ideas
A nod to a Nautical Theme
Give a little nautical hint to your room by adding one of our beautifully handcrafted rope door stops.